Kodagu is one of the most beautiful tourist places in South India. Madikeri being its capital, has a population of around 45,000.
In the year 1681, Madikeri was established by the then ruling King Muddu Raja of Haleri Dynasty. "Muddu Rajakeri' of those years is today's Madikeri.
Tucked in the lap of cloud-wreathed hills, in this small town, having an enchanting dream line creation around it, could be enjoyed by walk also. Madikeri received rain from June to September upto January in winter, where one can indeed imagine being in "Swiss town" with mist covered seductive charm of Madikeri.
Overlooking a deep valley is the delightful garden, the main spot of attraction. The Raja's seat is so called because the Raja's of Kodagu spent their evenings at this vintage point watching spectacular sunsets. The lovely flowers in full bloom and the fascinating view of the winding roads makes the visit a memorable one.
An added attraction is the toy train "Baba Saheb Express" near by with a park for the kids. Very next to Raja's seat stands the ancient Temple "Chouti Mariyamma". A furlong away stands the "Gandhi Mantap" with the statue of Mahatma Gandhi built in memory of the Father of Nation.
Madikeri is unusual. Built on high grounds, the Madikeri Fort looms
large over the town. This was rebuilt between 1812-1817. At the entrance
stands the majestic sculpture of horses erected on the entrance wall.
Within the fort is the palace which now houses government offices.
The palace is built in European style with secret underground routes.
Now a stone structure of tortoise stands as a witness to it. There
are initials of Virarajendra marked 'V' here and there. As a mark
of regret for the brutal killing of the royal elephant by King Vira
raja stone replicas of two mighty elephants stand nearby.
There is also a unique museum with memorable of ancient antiques like
weapons, idols, canon etc. adds more attraction to this place. A Ganesha
temple also adds attention.
built in 1820 by Lingarajendra the then ruling King to ward off the
evil caused by "Brahma Rakshasas". The Shiva Linga is said
to be brought from the holy place "Kaashi". This temple
has an unusual architectural combination of 'Indo-Sarsenic' Style.
Nearby is the holy tank. Regular poojas are performed in the temple
for the different deities like Lord Subrahmanya and Ganesha.
Dominating the skyline
are the Gadduge or three tombs with their Islamic style building domes
and minarets with gold coating built in Indo Sarsenic style, The entrance
to each tomb has Carvings of Hindu Deities. The Central largest tomb
more ornate than the other two, contains the graves of Virarajenda
and his wife Mahadevi Amma. The medium sized tomb is of Lingarajendra
and the simplest tomb contains the grave of Rudrappa Virarajendra's
Guru. A bird's eye view of Madikeri can be had from here..
A thrilling 8 kilometre
drive through forests and coffee plantations leads to the most popular
attraction and picnic spot - the Abbi Falls. The gushing sound and
the beauty of the falls can be experienced from the hanging bridge.
Engagingly beautiful in summer, an awesome sight is seen during monsoon.
Bathing in deep water, and swimming is not very safe.
Private vehicles has to be hired to get here. Driving of heavy vehicles
in this narrow road is prohibited at present.
ecological park, where cauvery rivers splits forming a island and
bamboo forest. A hanging bridge, boating, elephant ride, tree top
shelter, deer park etc. are worth to enjoy with dwelling cottages
named, Brahmagiri, Lopamudre, Kannike etc. A travel of 30 kms from
Madikeri, 60 kms to Kushalnagar. Reservation to be done for cottages
at Forest department, Madikeri. & : 08272-228305
A natural island with
cool and pleasant view. Boating and fishing makes a wonderful experience.
18 kms away from Kushalngar (Via Nanjarayapatna) is the island with
about 11 acres of land. The state Jungle Lodges & Resorts has
undertaken the development of this island. There are 12 tamed elephants
which are maintained by the forest department. Tourists interested
to know details about these mammals can be obtained here. Ideal place
for nature lovers, spending a few hours with the nature, elephants,
and the cool cauvery river.
Goddess of Kodagu is Mother Cauvery. The birth place of Sacred River,
Cauvery, Talacauvery is one of the main pilgrim centres of Karnataka.
A 48 Km drive from Madikeri stands Talacauvery at the foot of "Brahmagiri
Hills". Here emerges river Cauvery and gushes her way through
Karnataka and Tamilnadu, sanctifying lakhs of hectares of land around
her, ending her 760 km journey at Poompuhar in Tamilnadu to join Bay
The Auspicious day 'Tula Sankrama' falls on October 17th every year,
where the holy cauvery appears by a sudden upsurge of water in the
'Kundike' - the pond, while the pilgrims take a holy dip. There is
no separate worshiping idol for Goddess Cauvery. The pooja is performed
for the holy water in the holy 'Kundike". In Talacauvery stands
the "Shiva Linga" installed by Sage Agasthaya. About 300
steps leads to the top of Brahmagiri Hill where the exquisite view
of mother nature can be experienced.
Kumkum, holy Threetha Prasadam etc. are available for the devotees
here. Visitors are not allowed after 6. Night stopover is prohibited.
There are quite a few buses plying from Madikeri - Bhagamandala- Talacauvery.
The winding curves of the roads prompts one for cautious driving.
More informations can be had by calling & : 08272-243337
Also known as
'Dakshina Kaashi', Bhagamandala is 40 kms away from Madikeri. Since
Bhaganda Maharshi Installed Shivalinga here the place is known thus.
Talacauvery is 8 kms from here. Near by are the temples of Maha Vishnu,
Subrahmanya and Ganapathi.
The "Triveni Sangama" of the sacred rivers, the Cauvery,
the Kannike and the Sujyothi a Subterranean stream is found here .
An important Pilgrimage centre called 'Bhagandeshwara Kshetra', where
the pilgrims first take a bath, and then ascend the hills for a holy
dip at Talacauvery.
The only "Apiculture training centre" "Madhuvan"
is in progress here. Honey by the brand name "Coorg Honey"
is produced in Bhagamandala. Quite a few buses ply from in and around
Madikeri. Hotels including one from Karnataka State Tourism Development
Corporation "Hotel Mayura Kaveri Yatrinivas" is opened.
(Ph : 08272 - 2473143) 2 kms away from Bhagamandala enroute Madikeri
there is a petrol bunk.
At the feet
of 'Tadiyandamol" the highest mountain of Kodagu, stands proudly
the Nalknad Palace recalling the memories of history. It is just 45
kms away from Madikeri via Napoklu in Kakkabe. Built in 1792 by Dodda
Viraraja, the two storeyed palace enthrals any one with its attractive
paintings and architecture. In Kakkabe there is also the "Paadi
Igguthappa' temple built by Lingarajendra during 1810. The inscriptions
of the King can be found here.
A game sanctuary
also known as "Rajiv Gandhi National Park" is 98 kms away
from Madikeri, 90 kms from Mysore and 46 kms from Gonikoppa, extend
to 647 Sq. Kilometres. An excellent opportunity to witness wild animals
of different kinds, from the majestic elephant to the Deer, Tiger,
Cheetha, jackal etc. The forest comprises of valuable wealth like
the teak, rosewood, sandal wood trees etc.
Though plying of private vehicles is not allowed inside, the departmental
vehicle takes the tourists inside the sanctuary. For reservation of
the cottage contact. forest office, Hunsur & : 08222-252041
15 kms away from
Nagarahole is the beautiful water fall, "Irpu falls' which flows
as Laxman theertha, A Shiva temple dedicated by Lord Sri Rama is on
the banks of the River. Walking besides the paddy field and watching
the gorgeous falls which is about 60 ft. is a real treat to the eyes.
This is also an ideal picnic spot. Quite a few Houses are available
for "Home stay".
There are enough guest houses near Gonicoppa, Virajpet and Kutta for
those visiting Nagarahole and Irpu. Buses also ply from Gonicoppa.
A dam built across
the tributary of Kaveri with a length of 2775 ft. and 174 ft height.
A real picnic spot with the back water gushing out and with a Cauvery
temple nearby. A travel of just 8 kms from Kushalnagar.
(Harangi I.B. & : 08276-277007
|TIBETAN GOLDEN TEMPLE
A recently built
"Namdrolling Monastery" a world famous Tibetan Golden temple
a toast to the eyes is in Bylakoppa
also the second largest Tibetans settlement in India, just 6 kms away
from Kushalnagar. Three majestic Gold coated 40 feet hight idols of
Buddha & Padmasambhava, Amitayush Statue inside the temple, which
is also called as Padma Sambava is the main attraction. worthwhile
& : 08223-252962
Tibetan Handy Craft Centre, Bylakoppa & : 08223-254485